How to learn languages and pronunciation ?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

JasleenKaur
How to learn languages and pronunciation ?

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-10-08, 5:54

i am searching for teachers who can teach me languages and its accent too. Because it is waste of time if we are learning any language and unable to speak in same accent.

linguoboy

Re: How to learn languages and pronunciation ?

Postby linguoboy » 2015-10-08, 15:45

JasleenKaur wrote:I am searching for teachers who can teach me languages and itstheir accents too. Because it is a waste of time if we are learning anyto learn a language and unablewithout being able to speak in the same accent.
(Not sure what you mean by "same" here. "Appropriate"? "Corresponding"?)

What kind of instruction are you looking for and are you willing to pay for it?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JasleenKaur

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-10-12, 7:05

linguoboy wrote:
JasleenKaur wrote:I am searching for teachers who can teach me languages and itstheir accents too. Because it is a waste of time if we are learning anyto learn a language and unablewithout being able to speak in the same accent.

I am trying to say languages and its pronunciation both are important for learning languages. For example if i am learning french and teacher should also work on my accent that can help me to beat any french speaker. Is there any possible way to do that ?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-12, 15:57

Yes. You can hire a private tutor, hire a tutor on Skype, make friends with a native speaker of the language you're trying to learn on Skype, make recordings of your own pronunciation and post them on a forum or send them to native speakers, or just talk to native speakers.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-10-13, 11:43

vijayjohn wrote:Yes. You can hire a private tutor, hire a tutor on Skype, make friends with a native speaker of the language you're trying to learn on Skype, make recordings of your own pronunciation and post them on a forum or send them to native speakers, or just talk to native speakers.

JasleenKaur, he's telling you to hire him as your Skype tutor.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-13, 14:21

OldBoring wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Yes. You can hire a private tutor, hire a tutor on Skype, make friends with a native speaker of the language you're trying to learn on Skype, make recordings of your own pronunciation and post them on a forum or send them to native speakers, or just talk to native speakers.

Omg, no I'm not!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: Don't believe him, JasleenKaur, I haven't even been on Skype in weeks :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-10-16, 15:36

JasleenKaur wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

I am trying to say languages and its pronunciation both are important for learning languages. For example if i am learning french and teacher should also work on my accent that can help me to beat any french speaker. Is there any possible way to do that ?

You will always have an accent unless you worked on the language for many years. It also depends how close the pronunciation is to your native language. I have been living in the United States for over ten years now and I still have an accent in English. Your goal for now should be to just be understood.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

JasleenKaur

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-10-20, 10:19

Meera wrote:
JasleenKaur wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

You will always have an accent unless you worked on the language for many years. It also depends how close the pronunciation is to your native language. I have been living in the United States for over ten years now and I still have an accent in English. Your goal for now should be to just be understood.

You mean to say, firstly i have to work on languages than try to improve accents.

JasleenKaur

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-10-20, 10:22

OldBoring wrote:

I am not interested in hiring any instructor for language learning.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-10-20, 12:35

JasleenKaur wrote:I am not interested in hiring any instructor for language learning.

We have a saying in my variety of English: "You get what you pay for." Good luck finding someone who's willing to give away quality instruction at your convenience for free.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JasleenKaur

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-10-23, 5:25

linguoboy wrote:
JasleenKaur wrote:I am not interested in hiring any instructor for language learning.

We have a saying in my variety of English: "You get what you pay for." Good luck finding someone who's willing to give away quality instruction at your convenience for free.

i am here for discuss about issues not for hiring someone.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-10-23, 13:15

JasleenKaur wrote:i am here for discuss about issues not for hiring someone.

Expert language knowledge not being properly compensated is an issue. Just ask any professional in the field.

JasleenKaur

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-11-02, 7:53

linguoboy wrote:
JasleenKaur wrote:i am here for discuss about issues not for hiring someone.

Expert language knowledge not being properly compensated is an issue. Just ask any professional in the field.

Thank you for the guidance.

Return to “General Language Forum”