Please identify the language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Please identify the language

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-10, 2:43

I think it really is Italian; I can make out almost all of the words. (I'm not sure about the grammaticality of the Italian). However, the reason why even native speakers may not be able to identify it as such is because it's written in handwriting that to me at least seems so oddly difficult to decipher. (Same thing with that German note JPerry posted earlier in this thread).

I can decipher the following: Imparate a rispettare il ______ uomo. Come mai non c'è un giorno dedicato all'uomo? FEMMINISTI Merda...! CAPRE!!! I can't make out the word before uomo in the first sentence, and at first, I thought it said nuovo, not uomo, and couldn't make out the very last word in the text.

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2017-03-10, 4:55

vijayjohn wrote:I can't make out the word before uomo in the first sentence

I first thought it was guerre, but it looks like guere. Maybe it's a misspelling? Or could it be genere?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-10, 5:31

Genere might work there (though I'm no native speaker, of course, so who knows).

Kiitos! :)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-03-10, 8:04

JPerry wrote:Can anyone identify this? I was thinking Italian, but an Italian friend of mine says that it's not.

I don't know what kind of Italian friend you have, but it is Italian.

Imparate a rispettare il genere umano. Come mai non c'è un giorno dedicato all'umano? FEMMINISTI Merda.! CAPRE!!!

Learn to respect humankind. How come there isn't a day to celebrate the human being? FEMINISTS [are] Shit.! IGNORANT (lit. capre - goats)!!!

---

vijayjohn wrote:However, the reason why even native speakers may not be able to identify it as such is because it's written in handwriting that to me at least seems so oddly difficult to decipher. (Same thing with that German note JPerry posted earlier in this thread).

I guess handwriting can vary a lot from country to country, to me it doesn't look odd, it actually looks relatively easy to decipher. Keep in mind that, when handwriting, we tend to mix up italic and the "normal" non-cursive script (don't know what it's called) a lot, whereas I'm under the impression that in Anglo-Saxon countries the norm is only use the non-cursive script. Plus, a hack to better understand an average Italian handwriting is remember that <m> is often written as a kind of lower case omega <ω>, and <n> as something very similar if not indistinguishable from <u>.

I can decipher the following: Imparate a rispettare il ______ uomo. Come mai non c'è un giorno dedicato all'uomo? FEMMINISTI Merda...! CAPRE!!! I can't make out the word before uomo in the first sentence, and at first, I thought it said nuovo, not uomo, and couldn't make out the very last word in the text.

It says umano.

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2017-03-11, 5:51

IpseDixit wrote:genere umano
humankind

Ohhhh... I thought it meant "nice guy", like how women hate "nice guys" because a lot of guys calling themselves "nice guys" are actual misogynists that go on and on about how they're gentlemen for not raping women, how women secretly enjoy rape and how the only reason they don't rape every woman they see is that they don't want to give them free sex, because they think they're entitled to have sex with any woman at any time but that no woman should ever be allowed to choose who she has sex with, and who genuinely believe in a patriarchy that will have their back when they finally snap and go on a random killing spree. You know, the "nice guys" like Elliot Rodger...

...and I mean, with the crossed-out star of David in a note about feminism, implying a connection between feminists and Jews (which is a part of the wider conspiracy theory that Jews are out to destroy western civilisation), I don't get how it could be an actual equality-invoking message... but you're the native speaker, so. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-11, 7:36

Maybe it's a message along the same lines as "all lives matter," though, so not really a message for equality.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-03-11, 8:14

vijayjohn wrote:Maybe it's a message along the same lines as "all lives matter," though, so not really a message for equality.

Exactly.

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2017-03-11, 9:22

vijayjohn wrote:Maybe it's a message along the same lines as "all lives matter," though, so not really a message for equality.

But "all lives matter" is literally as equal as it gets. How anyone can be against saying "all lives matter" without admitting that they don't think all lives matter is beyond me. I don't think I'd have half as big a problem with SJWs if they honestly admitted that they don't think all lives matter, but claiming to think that all lives matter while getting up in arms against anyone saying "all lives matter" is just so hypocritical that it hurts. :?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-11, 13:33

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-11, 16:03

Vlürch wrote:

But "all lives matter" is literally as equal as it gets. How anyone can be against saying "all lives matter" without admitting that they don't think all lives matter is beyond me.

I knew you'd say something like this. So here ya go!

...Wait. Dammit! Where'd it go?? Oh right, here it is:
Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That’s the situation of the “black lives matter” movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.

The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn’t work that way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn’t want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That’s not made up out of whole cloth — there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it’s generally not considered “news”, while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate — young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don’t treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don’t pay as much attention to certain people’s deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don’t treat all lives as though they matter equally.

Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase “black lives matter” also has an implicit “too” at the end: it’s saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying “all lives matter” is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It’s a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means “only black lives matter,” when that is obviously not the case. And so saying “all lives matter” as a direct response to “black lives matter” is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.

Blonders

Postby Blonders » 2017-03-25, 4:45

Hi there, I guess this would be the right post to use :)

I am hoping somebody on this forum may understand what this language is?
And if so what does it mean.
It is a puzzle to us at the moment.
Somebody has previously suggested it is Korean and if you look at the line on the bottom right I did find when googling that would mean the letter I.
But I could be wrong there.
Also maybe the picture is the wrong way up as well?

Thanks for any help ! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-25, 5:00

It's the Chinese character 福 meaning 'good fortune', 'blessing', 'happiness', or 'prosperity'. It's upside-down, and this character is often hung upside-down for Chinese New Year because 福倒了 fú dàole 'good fortune is upside-down' is pronounced exactly the same way as 福到了 'good fortune has arrived' at least in Mandarin.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-25, 11:24

Also, welcome to Unilang!
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Blonders

Postby Blonders » 2017-03-25, 14:13

Oh that was really fast! Thank you very much for your response vijayjohn! I am sure glad it is something respectful - after posting i was worried what if it meant something horrid...phew. :lol:
And Osias thanks for your welcome ! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-25, 14:26

No problem! This was a lot easier to answer than a lot of the other questions we've had on this thread. :D ;)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-03-25, 23:50

Vlürch wrote:Ohhhh... I thought it meant "nice guy", like how women hate "nice guys" because a lot of guys calling themselves "nice guys" are actual misogynists that go on and on about how they're gentlemen for not raping women, how women secretly enjoy rape and how the only reason they don't rape every woman they see is that they don't want to give them free sex, because they think they're entitled to have sex with any woman at any time but that no woman should ever be allowed to choose who she has sex with, and who genuinely believe in a patriarchy that will have their back when they finally snap and go on a random killing spree. You know, the "nice guys" like Elliot Rodger...

But "all lives matter" is literally as equal as it gets. How anyone can be against saying "all lives matter" without admitting that they don't think all lives matter is beyond me. I don't think I'd have half as big a problem with SJWs if they honestly admitted that they don't think all lives matter, but claiming to think that all lives matter while getting up in arms against anyone saying "all lives matter" is just so hypocritical that it hurts. :?
If you can understand that "But I'm a nice guy!" means "I'm a misogynist creep", and that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is neither democratic nor a republic nor for the people, then you can understand that "all lives matter" really means "black lives don't matter to me".
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-26, 0:53

mōdgethanc wrote:
If you can understand that "But I'm a nice guy!" means "I'm a misogynist creep", and that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is neither democratic nor a republic nor for the people, then you can understand that "all lives matter" really means "black lives don't matter to me".

As W. Kamau Bell points out in the video below (4:26) "That's not a thing. Nobody said 'All lives matter' before Black Lives Matter."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXeQMcleiME
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Moraczewski

Postby Moraczewski » 2017-04-11, 5:54

Hello! This is a recording of various shortwave radio stations. Could you help me identify the languages? I guess there are at least four languages.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s065PFA0kQAZ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-12, 0:51

I hear three: Persian, Turkish, and Hausa, in that order.

Nice songs btw! :lol:

Moraczewski

Postby Moraczewski » 2017-04-12, 7:44

vijayjohn wrote:I hear three: Persian, Turkish, and Hausa, in that order.

Thanks! Since I started listening to shortwave I have a few recordings in unidentified languages. Here is another:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1hfXO77ICEc
As far as I can tell there are four languages: at 0:00, at 2:29, at 4:34 and at 5:00. Most popular languages in shortwave broadcast are Persian, Arabic, Chinese, Turkish, Hausa, Amharic, Somali and some others, so it's probable that the languages are some of those. (I don't speak any of them and still can't tell one from another!)

Return to “General Language Forum”