Please identify the language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

NTxC
Re: Please identify the language

Postby NTxC » 2016-10-29, 7:44

Could the first line be this?
"e fari se quod est su pullarum"
Kinda sounds like what a Japanese artist would write in Latin

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-10-29, 8:49

vijayjohn wrote:
I'm sorry but it doesn't. Dies irae is supposed to be pronounced [ˈdies ˈire] or if you don't know IPA, DEE-ehs EE-reh.

There's no single pronunciation standard for Latin, so there isn't really any "one correct" way of pronouncing it. For example, the Oxford pronunciation standard would probably be something like [ˈdiʔeːs ˈiːraj] since although /ei/ was a valid diphthong in Latin, /ie/ was not.

But yeah, I still don't think it's Latin.

Yeah sorry, over here we're taught the ecclesiastical pronunciation and are never told about other pronunciations (well, at least in high school, maybe in university it's different).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-29, 14:32

Well, we're never told about other pronunciations, either! But Latin is one of my languages, and I've seen firsthand that how you pronounce Latin varies a lot depending on what tradition you're following. :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2016-10-29, 17:04

Vlürch wrote:
voron wrote:It looks like butchered Arabic:
انا ملك لحبيبى
I am a property of my beloved.

The dash under م looks like a kasra, but it should not be there, the word is 'mulk (un)'.

But what about the three dots on the ك?

I am not seeing three dots, I am seeing a damma tanween: كٌ

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-10-30, 5:25

IpseDixit wrote:Yeah sorry, over here we're taught the ecclesiastical pronunciation and are never told about other pronunciations (well, at least in high school, maybe in university it's different).

What textbook did you study on? I didn't take Latin in high school, but I've looked at some Latin textbooks for high school, and on the introduction they always say there's a reconstructed pronunciation (or Classical or scientific pronunciation) and an ecclesiastic pronunciation (the traditional one used in Italy).

The English way of pronouncing Latin is the worst...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-10-30, 5:30

OldBoring wrote:The English way of pronouncing Latin is the worst...

Which English way? :lol:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-10-30, 5:37

vijayjohn wrote:

Well the most common one. :P

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-10-30, 7:50

I'm more inclined to think it's a conlang (artlang). Since Yousei Teikoku (妖精帝國) and their German name Feenreich mean "Fairy Empire", could they have created a conlang supposed to be spoken by fairies?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-10-30, 9:13

OldBoring wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:Yeah sorry, over here we're taught the ecclesiastical pronunciation and are never told about other pronunciations (well, at least in high school, maybe in university it's different).

What textbook did you study on? I didn't take Latin in high school, but I've looked at some Latin textbooks for high school, and on the introduction they always say there's a reconstructed pronunciation (or Classical or scientific pronunciation) and an ecclesiastic pronunciation (the traditional one used in Italy).

My book had a very short paragraph about that, in no way exhaustive and it was in the introduction, which you obviously always skip :lol:, and my teacher never told us about alternative pronunciations.

If you're wondering why I know it was in the introduction if I skipped it, it's because I've recently re-studied some Latin using that book and I did read the introduction this time around.

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-10-30, 17:05

OldBoring wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

Well the most common one. :P

Nowadays that's only used in reading Latin words or phrase in isolation.

In learning Latin itself we used the "Classical" pronunciation:

Haedus ā grege aberrāverat, hunc lupus vīsum īnsequī coepit. Quī cum intellegeret sē vīribus suīs malum effugere nōn posse...

[ˈhaɪdʊs ɑː ˈgɹɛgeɪː əbɛˈɹɑːwɛɹət, hʊŋk ˈlʊpʊs ˈwiːsʊm iːnˈsɛkwiː ˈkɔɪpɪt kwi: kʊm ɪntɛˈlɛgɛɹɛt seɪ ˈwiːɹɪbʊs ˈsuːwiːs ˈmʌlʊm ɛˈfʊgɛɹɛ noʊn ˈpɔsɛ] (aspiration not marked).

Basically it's as close to the classical pronunciation as possible while still using the sounds in English.

Sung on the other hand, we use the Church Latin pronunciation:

[haɪdus ɑ gɾɛgeɪ ɑbɛɾɑwɛɾɛt, huŋk lupus wisum insɛkwi kɔɪpit kwi kum ɪntɛlɛdʒɛɾet seɪ wiɾibus suwis mɑlum ɛfugɛɾeɪ noʊn poʊseɪ] (aspiration not marked).

So we have three different systems (if not more)
Avatar by gill from Glasgow, uk (oy vey!) CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-11-01, 16:24

I think the band is having a great time reading us now.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

NTxC

Postby NTxC » 2016-11-01, 16:53

OldBoring wrote:I'm more inclined to think it's a conlang (artlang). Since Yousei Teikoku (妖精帝國) and their German name Feenreich mean "Fairy Empire", could they have created a conlang supposed to be spoken by fairies?

Please God, don't let this be true :D

I contacted the band and Yui-sama herself numerous times but got no answer, ever...

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2016-11-03, 5:55

NTxC wrote:
OldBoring wrote:I'm more inclined to think it's a conlang (artlang). Since Yousei Teikoku (妖精帝國) and their German name Feenreich mean "Fairy Empire", could they have created a conlang supposed to be spoken by fairies?

Please God, don't let this be true :D

I contacted the band and Yui-sama herself numerous times but got no answer, ever...

Maybe they want it to be a mystery? I mean, sometimes it's not the lyrics that matter, and in some cases it's the very fact that the lyrics can't be understood that is the point; people wondering what the lyrics mean and coming up with all kinds of theories sounds like it would be really entertaining, since even coming up with all kinds of theories about mystery lyrics is so much fun. :P
I wish enough people listened to my stuff to waste their time trying to interpret my gibberish...
Anyway, I filtered the acapella you posted even more, and the last bit still sounds like "dies irae" to my ears. My ears might be shit, though, since I still hear "if I was as cool/cute/killed/cured/???? as you Poland" as well... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajackson0826

What language is this? What does it say?

Postby ajackson0826 » 2016-11-05, 5:22

Hi,

I recently picked up a charm from a thrift shop. It has an engraving in a foreign language. I was wondering what language it is and what it means?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

charm2.jpg

charm1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-11-07, 13:16

I honestly can't really tell from the pictures as they are. All I can say is that the script looks kind of like Arabic script or some variant of it.

Althor99

Postby Althor99 » 2016-11-09, 10:39

Hi all!Hope you can help me!
"Landi av leysa Landi av Hetja Landi at gaf oss hoppas ok minni..."Could anyone confirm if this is realy Old Norse/Norrønt? It says "Land that gave us hope and memories" Found it on a website, and i m not sure if it really is. I know the translation but i need confirmation because i cant find that this is Old Norse anywhere but on that website.
It s from a song called Song of Exile.
I would appreciate any help from Scandinavian folks :D or anyone who studies Scandinavian languages. Thanks! Cheers!

website: http://lyricstranslate.com/en/song-exile-we-will-go-home-song-exile-we-will-go-home.html

P.S. If anyone knows a Norwegian or Swedish translation they could put it in reply. I have grown not to trust Google Translate so i would apreciate a translation from a real person. :D

il voltoro

Postby il voltoro » 2016-11-15, 13:42

Two Asian men in a bus were talking in a language I didn't recognise. I didn't want to intrude on them or come across as a racist so I didn't ask what it was, I thought about recording them but that's illegal and rude so I didn't. What I did was type on my phone what it sounded like in IPA, it's not accurate and they already were talking for a long time before I started typing it but I hope it's enough. Spaces mark short breaks that I hope correspond to separate words, they were speaking pretty fast so I had difficulty keeping up. The aspirated diacritic might be used wrongly, I used it for every H-sound after voiceless stops so there may be actually clusters of k+h or others instead. The ʃ and dʒ could've been retroflex and I don't know if the r were a trill or not, maybe even ɽ, also the l were sometimes probably different like ɫ or ɭ and the voiced stops could really have been voiceless only without any aspiration, I'm not sure.

ʃuntʰu xɑtʃi kʰørydɛʃ dʒɑbɛ ryntʃy fɑn dɑrɛ kʰɑ bɛrizɑ kʰɑ tʰørø tʃɛlɛ dʒɑŋ ʃɑmɑ dɛdɛdɛ biri zɑn xɑtʃobɑn buʃ kʰɑpʰotʃɛdɑ bɛtʰi xɛboro ʃili xɑkʰɑridʒɑ mɑtʰɑ pʰotʃɛŋkʰɑ bɑlɑzɑdɛ dʒurɑ dʒurɑ kʰɛpʰitʰi nɑʃokʰu zɑtɑ xɑbɑrɑtʰɛ ørøsɛn ʃɑbuli mɑdʒirɑ dɛ ʃili kʰɑ kytʰɛŋ tʃøpʰitʰɛ gørymɛn nørynøry biritʃɑtʰɑrɛŋ gɑ dʒɑlɛpʰɑʃ bitʰukʰudu xɑkʰtʰɑrɑn dɑrɑm pʰurɑniŋ giriŋ kʰurɑ tʃɑlɑl mɑxɑtʃi bɛrɛtʰɛpʰu dʒørøkʰ fɑn dʒɑkɑʃ zɑn tʰymylybyrɛŋ kʰɛrɛl ibɑrɡɑn tʃor udokʰu dɑrɑdɑrɑdɑrɑ kʰɑbu gɑ ørødɛn lɑrɑrɑŋ tʃibɑ dorobu kʰoru xɑtʰi buluʃ tʃɑkʰu gorudʒɛ nɛ bɑdɛrɛpʰu tʃɛry xɑlibɛ zoru fɑrɛm lɑdʒikʰɑ

Vlürch

Re: What language is this? What does it say?

Postby Vlürch » 2016-11-16, 19:23

ajackson0826 wrote:charm2.jpg

charm1.jpg

The pics are way too small and unclear, but could it be Thai, Khmer, Lao or something? The squiggly thing in the first pic looks kinda like the cow piss mark, although it also looks like there's some kind of five-pointed cross/star/whatever thing.
Althor99 wrote:"Landi av leysa Landi av Hetja Landi at gaf oss hoppas ok minni..."Could anyone confirm if this is realy Old Norse/Norrønt? It says "Land that gave us hope and memories" Found it on a website, and i m not sure if it really is. I know the translation but i need confirmation because i cant find that this is Old Norse anywhere but on that website.

I have no idea, but to me it looks too much like modern Swedish, Norwegian or Danish to be Old Norse; IIRC the closest living language to Old Norse is Icelandic, and that sentence doesn't really look like Icelandic. I could be totally wrong, though.
il voltoro wrote:ʃuntʰu xɑtʃi kʰørydɛʃ dʒɑbɛ ryntʃy fɑn dɑrɛ kʰɑ bɛrizɑ kʰɑ tʰørø tʃɛlɛ dʒɑŋ ʃɑmɑ dɛdɛdɛ biri zɑn xɑtʃobɑn buʃ kʰɑpʰotʃɛdɑ bɛtʰi xɛboro ʃili xɑkʰɑridʒɑ mɑtʰɑ pʰotʃɛŋkʰɑ bɑlɑzɑdɛ dʒurɑ dʒurɑ kʰɛpʰitʰi nɑʃokʰu zɑtɑ xɑbɑrɑtʰɛ ørøsɛn ʃɑbuli mɑdʒirɑ dɛ ʃili kʰɑ kytʰɛŋ tʃøpʰitʰɛ gørymɛn nørynøry biritʃɑtʰɑrɛŋ gɑ dʒɑlɛpʰɑʃ bitʰukʰudu xɑkʰtʰɑrɑn dɑrɑm pʰurɑniŋ giriŋ kʰurɑ tʃɑlɑl mɑxɑtʃi bɛrɛtʰɛpʰu dʒørøkʰ fɑn dʒɑkɑʃ zɑn tʰymylybyrɛŋ kʰɛrɛl ibɑrɡɑn tʃor udokʰu dɑrɑdɑrɑdɑrɑ kʰɑbu gɑ ørødɛn lɑrɑrɑŋ tʃibɑ dorobu kʰoru xɑtʰi buluʃ tʃɑkʰu gorudʒɛ nɛ bɑdɛrɛpʰu tʃɛry xɑlibɛ zoru fɑrɛm lɑdʒikʰɑ

My best guess would be some weird Korean dialect or something, but it could be pretty much literally anything.

linguoboy

Re: What language is this? What does it say?

Postby linguoboy » 2016-11-16, 21:34

Vlürch wrote:My best guess would be some weird Korean dialect or something, but it could be pretty much literally anything.

It's not Korean.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-11-16, 22:18

It's not Brazilian Portuguese, or any Romance language, or we were seeing prepositions, I think.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Return to “General Language Forum”