The languages of our dreams

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

JuxtapositionQMan
Re: The languages of our dreams

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-06-06, 20:39

mōdgethanc wrote:This morning I had a dream that I was in my friend's apartment trying to turn off her alarm clock which just would not stop no matter what I did. Then I woke up and found the alarm on my phone had been going off for ten minutes. Nice.
Was the alarm speaking Swahili? :lol:
Well, that was a thing.
speak: [flag=]en[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag]
learning: [flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]pt[/flag][flag=]es[/flag][flag=]ro[/flag][flag=]art-jbo[/flag]
hiatus: [flag=]fi[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]la[/flag][flag=]wa[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]zh.Hans[/flag][flag=]is[/flag]
want to learn: [flag=]fo[/flag][flag=]be[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag][flag=]hi[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag][flag=]cy[/flag][flag=]hu[/flag]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-06-06, 22:30

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:Was the alarm speaking Swahili? :lol:

Oh my God, was that a reference to Swahili time? :lol:

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-06-06, 23:23

Yes, but moreso it was a comment on how this is a thread about dreaming languages and his comment had zilch to do with the latter as far as I could tell.
Btw, my dad told me this story yesterday:
-
He came up to his French teacher in high school once.
He said "You know how when you dream in a language, it's a sign you really know it well?"
The teacher responded "yes...?"
"Well," he said, "I had a dream last night entirely in French!"
"Ooh," responded the teacher, "so...what was it about"?
He answered "I dunno: didn't understand a word of it."
Last edited by JuxtapositionQMan on 2014-06-07, 0:15, edited 1 time in total.
Well, that was a thing.
speak: [flag=]en[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag]
learning: [flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]pt[/flag][flag=]es[/flag][flag=]ro[/flag][flag=]art-jbo[/flag]
hiatus: [flag=]fi[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]la[/flag][flag=]wa[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]zh.Hans[/flag][flag=]is[/flag]
want to learn: [flag=]fo[/flag][flag=]be[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag][flag=]hi[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag][flag=]cy[/flag][flag=]hu[/flag]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-06-07, 0:13

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:Yes, but moreso it was a comment on how this is a thread about dreaming languages and his comment had zilch to do with the latter as far as I could tell.

Not everybody dreams in a particular language, including you (and me, incidentally). Besides, Ciarán's dream (which was discussed just before that) didn't have anything to do with dreaming in specific languages either; it just involved a...new swimming style that happened to have a name in Japanese. :P

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-06-07, 12:46

Ciarán12 wrote:Palms up? I was taught that with palms down, grasping forward in a kind of cycling motion with the legs kicking behind.

RIght :oops:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-06-08, 16:35

I dreamt I was making vacation plans with my spouse and I had vetoed a particular restaurant because it didn't serve the Asian food I liked. I named some of my favourite Japanese dishes, and my family members joined in with their suggestions. Then a man at the table next to ours said, "Byakko!"[*] and I replied "Onomiyaki!"[**] He replied, "I've never heard that word." He looked like a former military man and I could tell he was about to launch into a résumé of his experiences in Japan, which I tried to circumvent by giving a potted etymology of the word. "You know that 'yaki' means grlled, right? Like in 'yakitori'?" I couldn't tell if he was following me or not.

In an earlier dream, I met a member of a Welsh pop band ("Sparks", which is actually the name of an American pop band with no Welsh connexions at all) and I tried to speak a few words of Welsh to her. As I recall, I scrambled the grammar pretty badly.

[*] Not the name of a food
[**] Should be "okonomiyaki".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-06-10, 7:46

This morning before waking up, I had a really weird dream.
In the dream, I was home living with my parents. The water company advertised that who had shower that day would be rewarded with points. So I went to have shower, and my dad asked me what I was doing, in Qingtianese Wu, as normal.
I replied in Qingtianese, in code-switching with Italian, as it's normal in my house, and said:
该日汏浴,会给我人 punti 。[gə neʔ da joʔ | ɦuə kʰa ŋu nəŋ 'punti kə]
Having shower today, they'll give us points.

I don't remember the rest of the weird dream. Now that I've been living alone for 5 years, I often dream about living with my family together.
In my dreams, while really weird things happen, language usage always matches the reality. So that I talk in Qingtianese (code-switch with Italian) to parents and family; Italian with my brother and Italian friends etc. and strangers I meet when the dream is set in Italy; Mandarin with my girlfriend and collegemates, and whoever I meet in China.
But it happens often that e.g. the dreams begins in China, and some scenes after, I'm in Italy...

loqu

Postby loqu » 2014-06-10, 10:51

A conversation in last night's dream is all I can remember.

- No you shouldn't write volta here, you should write vegada.
- Why can't I write volta?
- It's better to use terms that are common to all Catalan dialects. It's like IT publications in Spanish, that don't say ordenador or computadora but equipo, you know?

Then I woke up with a headache.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-10, 11:15

loqu wrote:A conversation in last night's dream is all I can remember.

- It's better to use terms that are common to all Catalan dialects. It's like IT publications in Spanish, that don't say ordenador or computadora but equipo, you know?

Does [flag=]ca[/flag]volta mean [flag=]es[/flag]vuelta or [flag=]it[/flag]volta (that's to say vez in Spanish)?

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2014-06-10, 11:31

Most of my dreams are in Russian, but, depending on how much I use a certain language, it can happen that part of my dreams are in it. Sometimes I have dreams (not many words, small conversations), in German.

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-06-10, 11:52

IpseDixit wrote:
loqu wrote:A conversation in last night's dream is all I can remember.

Does [flag=]ca[/flag]volta mean [flag=]es[/flag]vuelta or [flag=]it[/flag]volta (that's to say vez in Spanish)?

I've never heard the word but I assume it must mean "vez" in Spanish if it's replacing "vegada", right? Or maybe it's a weird dream mistake?

loqu

Postby loqu » 2014-06-10, 12:11

It has those two meanings, but in València people say volta at least as often as vegada. One more of the similarities between Italian and Valencian Catalan :D
Let people enjoy things.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-10, 12:21

loqu wrote:One more of the similarities between Italian and Valencian Catalan :D

What are the others? :)

loqu

Postby loqu » 2014-06-10, 12:30

The 3rd conjugation verbs in Valencian have more similarities to Italian than in Central Catalan, and some from the 2nd conjugation that follow the same model (ending in -scere). Like:

Italian - Valencian - Central Catalan
unire - unir - unir
unisco - unisc - uneixo
unisca - unisca - uneixi

nascere - nàixer - néixer
nasco - nasc - neixo

The use of manco instead of menys comes from Italian, but AFAIK it's fallen out of use in Italian.
Let people enjoy things.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-10, 12:36

How is the sc in unisc and unisca pronounced?

loqu wrote:but AFAIK it's fallen out of use in Italian.

Yes.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2014-06-10, 14:21

It's pronounced [sk] normatively, though in many areas it's pronounced [Sk] (x-sampa, can't write IPA on the phone)
Let people enjoy things.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2014-06-10, 14:52

Since most people surrounding me speak either Ukrainian or Russian, when I see one of them in my dream they usually talk to me there like they'd do in real life. I don't remember having any part of my dreams in any other language. Although, given my interest in foreign languages, there might be some that I simply forgot, just like we normally forget the most part of our dreams. :)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-10, 15:58

loqu wrote:It's pronounced [sk] normatively, though in many areas it's pronounced [Sk] (x-sampa, can't write IPA on the phone)

I see.

Another thing about manco: nowadays it's become a very colloquial way to say neanche (neither/not even).

Michael

Postby Michael » 2014-06-10, 16:40

I mostly dream in English, or if it involves my grandmother, Pizzonese, but I do dream in a foreign language occasionally. One of the last dreams I had in a foreign language, it was in Persian. I must have been somewhere in the Iranian countryside, because I was listening to a beautiful azan (Islamic call to prayer) in the distance while looking outside at the nearby mountains for a minute, and I later proceeded to speak some Persian with a lady who must have been my hostess, but I don't know whether it was correct or not. Oddly enough, I can't remember what the words to the azan are in real life, but I seem to have been able to in the dream if my mind was reproducing it like that.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-06-11, 14:12

loqu wrote:unisca - unisca - uneixi

unica subjuntive, unisce indicative :)

Return to “General Language Forum”