Please post your message bilingually!

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Please post your message bilingually!

Postby OldBoring » 2017-07-16, 22:23

Dr. House wrote:
OldBoring wrote:[flag=]en[/flag]Anyway, I should have clarified in a better way what I meant with my previous post written in a vulgar way. I meant to say, what do you think about all the bilingual posts in this thread being English + another language? I rarely see pairs of language without English. With English translations always provided, will this thread become "less multilingual" and less celebrating "diversity"? Or do you prefer to always read an English version, so that people who don't know the other language also have the opportunity to understand and participate to the discussion? Or do you prefer a more challenging setting, where you're likely to read languages you don't understand, so you have the opportunity to try to make them up, e.g. by using your limited knowledge of those language or by using Google Translate or online dictionaries?

[flag=]pt-BR[/flag]Bom, eu tenho que clarificar em um jeito melhor o que quis dizer com a minha postagem anterior que escrevi em um jeito vulgar. Eu quis dizer, o que vocês acham de toda postagem neste tópico serem em inglês + outra língua? Raramente vejo pares de línguas sem o inglês. Se sempre tem a tradução em inglês, esse tópico vai ficar "menos multilíngue" e menos incline a comemorar a "diversidade"? Ou preferem sempre ler uma versão inglesa, assim que os que não sabem a outra língua também têm a chance de entender e participar na discussão? Ou preferem um cenário mais estimulante onde vocês podem ler línguas que não entendem, assim que têm a chance de tentar intuir, por exemplo usando o seu conhecimento limitado daquela língua ou usando Google Tradutor ou dicionários online?

[flag=]ru[/flag] теперь ты понимаешь, старая зануда? :)
[flag=]cs[/flag] a teď rozumíš, starej suchare? :)

[many Slavic languages + Romanian] da/да

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-07-18, 7:55

[flag=]de[/flag] Das stimmt.
[flag=]es[/flag] Es correcto.

[flag=]en[/flag] It's the only thing I understand when I meet the Romanian co-workers.

[flag=]cs[/flag] To je to jediné čemu rozumím když potkám své rumunské spolupracovníky.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-19, 9:01

Dr. House wrote:[flag=]en[/flag] It's the only thing I understand when I meet the Romanian co-workers.

[flag=]en[/flag] It doesn't sound quite natural to use "the" in this case. It's better to not use an article or to use a possessive adjective, like "my".

[flag=]fr[/flag] Quand tu utilise l'article « the » dans ce cas, il n'a pas le son naturel. Il est mieux à ne pas incluir l'article ou bien ajouter l'adjectif possessif « my » .
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-07-20, 17:15

Yes. You're right.
Oui. T'as raison.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-07-20, 18:08

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] Quand tu utilises l'article « the » dans ce cas, ça n'a pas l'air naturel / ça ne sonne pas bien. Il C'est mieux à de ne pas inclure l'article ou bien d'ajouter l'adjectif possessif « my » .

_____

[flag=]fr[/flag] Ben, je n'ai pas grand-chose à dire. Les idées vertes incolores dorment furieusement.

[flag=]en-us[/flag] Well, I don't have much to say. Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
:P
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-07-28, 20:19

[flag=]fr[/flag] Je viens de récupérer ma Skoda Fabia !! Elle est très belle :)

[flag=]hu[/flag] éppen megkaptam az én Skoda Fabiámat! Az nagyon szép!

(I just received my Skoda Fabia! It's handsome)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2017-07-31, 9:17

france-eesti wrote:Škoda

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-04, 22:33

france-eesti wrote:(I just received my Skoda Fabia! It's handsomebeautiful)

We rarely use handsome with inanimate objects in English; it's almost always beautiful. We only really use handsome with animate beings that we specifically know are male (i.e., humans and animals). There may be some exceptions to that, but I can't think of any right now.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-05, 6:37

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:(I just received my Skoda Fabia! It's handsomebeautiful)

We rarely use handsome with inanimate objects in English; it's almost always beautiful. We only really use handsome with animate beings that we specifically know are male (i.e., humans and animals). There may be some exceptions to that, but I can't think of any right now.

This reminds me of my homophobic textbook which reads something like "darling - m-f, f-m or f-f/never male-male"

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-05, 7:44

Dr. House wrote:
dEhiN wrote:We rarely use handsome with inanimate objects in English; it's almost always beautiful. We only really use handsome with animate beings that we specifically know are male (i.e., humans and animals). There may be some exceptions to that, but I can't think of any right now.

This reminds me of my homophobic textbook which reads something like "darling - m-f, f-m or f-f/never male-male"

I don't know if the usage of handsome versus beautiful for inanimate objects is homophobic per se. I think it's just that it's common in English to personify inanimate objects as female by default. I'm not sure how or why that came about, and when that became a thing. But I think because of that we tend to use beautiful (or the noun beauty, sometimes colloquially shortened to beaut).

As for darling, it depends on the context. In the context of a significant other relationship, male-male usage is completely normal and acceptable. For a general use of darling, like in the phrase "darling, that was absolutely fabulous!" (stereotypically uttered by a flamboyant gay fashionista or a female diva), it's not a word that straight guys use in their vocabulary. Or, to put it another way, straight guys generally only say darling to their significant other, which of course would be a woman. Gay guys don't have the same connotational restrictions of this word placed on them, and so they're free to use it with anyone, including a significant other. And of course women are free to use it in any context with anybody.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-05, 13:39

dEhiN wrote:I don't know if the usage of handsome versus beautiful for inanimate objects is homophobic per se. I think it's just that it's common in English to personify inanimate objects as female by default.

It's not homophobic, but I think some people at least do consider it sexist.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2017-08-14, 15:27

(zh) 英语的beautiful与handsome的区别很像中文的美丽与帅。

(en) Beautiful and handsome look like 美丽 and 帅 in Chinese. You use 美丽 with women and things, but 帅 with male people.

DissidentRage

Postby DissidentRage » 2017-08-25, 20:42

(en-us) HELLO YES THIS IS DOG
(no) HALLO JA DETTE ER HUND
actually I support Rojava

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2017-08-25, 22:11

SALUT BIP BOUP
HELLO BEEP BOOP

CECI N'EST PAS UN UTILISATEUR
THIS IS NOT A USER

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-28, 22:25

DissidentRage wrote:(en-us) HELLO YES THIS IS DOG
(no) HALLO JA DETTE ER HUND

(en-ca) Hi Dog, this is Cat.
(sv) Hej Hund, jag är Katt.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-09-07, 7:51

(tr) Annem dört kedisi var.
(sv) Min mor har fyra katter.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-07, 7:57

Dr. House wrote:(tr) Annemin dört kedisi var.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-09-08, 13:13

Dr. House wrote:(tr) Annem dört kedisi var.

(pt-br) Ave credo, Claudia adotou dois e eu já acho um exagero!
(en) Holy gosh, Claudia adopted two and even that is too much for me!
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-09-08, 14:13

Osias wrote:

Yeah, especially when they're beggin'. :)
Jo, obzvlášť když žebraj. :)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2017-09-08, 23:28

Osias wrote:

Swedish (sv) Två är lättare att ta hand om en en. Är de två kan de leka och vara sociala med varandra, har man bara en katt måste man själv stå för allt sådant.

English (en) Two are easier to care for than one. If they're two, they can play and be social with each other, if you've only got one cat it's up to you to cover all those needs.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Return to “General Language Forum”