Language Revival

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Zewu
Re: Language Revival

Postby Zewu » 2009-01-09, 22:27

Last edited by Zewu on 2011-11-01, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2009-01-09, 23:15

Zewu wrote:The most positive example I have found so far is from the Pend d'Oreille tribe of Montana. They now have a school where the children are being taught in their native language. Do take a look at their very own YouTube Channel - there's a video where they present their immersion school and you can also listen to what Salish (their language) sounds like. I've also read about many other tribes with similar projects.

A couple of months ago, a guy from exactly that tribe visited us a whole day in class. Or so I believe... maybe Formiko can help me here... anyway what tribe it was, his language included a sign language while speaking! And from what I understood, the natives were very cultural and the language was being taught to every toddler up there :)

EDIT: Ah, seems he was a Gros Ventre :P Well they were both French words... I remember he said that the sign for waterfall looked like the sign most westerners use for a big belly. And at first encounter, they must've used the word waterfall a lot 'cause they are known as "Big Bellies". And according to Wikipedia there were only 10 speakers in 1977 and "a few semi-speakers" in 2000!!! :shock: I feel honored! And confused...
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2009-01-11, 20:59

Aleco wrote:A couple of months ago, a guy from exactly that tribe visited us a whole day in class. Or so I believe... maybe Formiko can help me here... anyway what tribe it was, his language included a sign language while speaking! And from what I understood, the natives were very cultural and the language was being taught to every toddler up there :)

EDIT: Ah, seems he was a Gros Ventre :P Well they were both French words... I remember he said that the sign for waterfall looked like the sign most westerners use for a big belly. And at first encounter, they must've used the word waterfall a lot 'cause they are known as "Big Bellies". And according to Wikipedia there were only 10 speakers in 1977 and "a few semi-speakers" in 2000!!! :shock: I feel honored! And confused...

The Gros Ventre language is very similar to Arapaho (stress on the second A).
A curious thing about Arapaho and Gros Ventre is that they lived in Sioux country, andyet did not speak a Plains language! They spoke Algonquin which was from the East Coast (New York, Massachusets, Virginia, etc). They were called Gros Ventre because of their big appetites.
Another oddity, is that men and women pronounced words differently. Women pronounced a 't' as an 's'.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2009-01-11, 21:34

Wow, interesting :hmm: I think he mentioned something about a sound men pronounce and women don't as well.

The linguistic diversity around in N/S America is in the shadow of English and Spanish unfortunately :( And the languages aren't exactly doing well either...
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2009-01-11, 22:06

Aleco wrote:Wow, interesting :hmm: I think he mentioned something about a sound men pronounce and women don't as well.

The linguistic diversity around in N/S America is in the shadow of English and Spanish unfortunately :( And the languages aren't exactly doing well either...

My own language Cherokee is vigorous, as well as Navajo. The languages in Canada are doing much better than in the US.
All the youth are on drugs (meth) to care about learning their language.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Return to “General Language Forum”