Handwritings

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Psi-Lord
Re: Handwritings

Postby Psi-Lord » 2013-11-01, 21:01

Levente wrote:What do you guys think about my handwriting.

Just loved the second style! :D But then, I could read it, but I suppose a lot of people must complain they can’t, right?

The first style looks really neat, of course, but it gives me the impression it takes forever to write that neatly.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-11-01, 21:11

Psi-Lord wrote:
Levente wrote:What do you guys think about my handwriting.

Just loved the second style! :D But then, I could read it, but I suppose a lot of people must complain they can’t, right?

The first style looks really neat, of course, but it gives me the impression it takes forever to write that neatly.

It was years ago but I remember many people saying it looked like Arabic.
That was the reason I left it and decided that from now on I'll write like the first one.
But after years now I can write it a normal or fast speed without being careful or something.

I still have some of my notebooks from school even from 3rd or 5th grade
so I can see how my handwriting gradually became Arabic-like. :)

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2013-11-01, 22:42

IDK about graphology, there might well be charlatans around who offer super-general conclusions which could fit almost anyone, as in astrology (although I sometimes happen to look at my astrological predictions in the newspaper, for the sheer amusement of seeing them wrong at least 50% of the time). OTOH, it's not unreasonable that there's something to it. A colleague of mine once collected our signatures at lunch to give them to a graphologist he came to know (who knew nothing about us, unless she spied...); he said later that she had just glanced at one of the signatures and said, "this person has a hearing problem", which was completely true. She said there were ear-like parts all over the signature. She also said I'm in quite a distress, which was also true... :?
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-11-02, 4:10

Marah wrote:I agree with modge, graphology is bullshit imo.
Well, bullshit can be harmless fun - as long as everyone involved knows it is. I only have a problem with it when people start to take it seriously and base decisions about, say, national security on it.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-11-02, 8:51

Babelfish wrote:OTOH, it's not unreasonable that there's something to it. A colleague of mine once collected our signatures at lunch to give them to a graphologist he came to know (who knew nothing about us, unless she spied...); he said later that she had just glanced at one of the signatures and said, "this person has a hearing problem", which was completely true. She said there were ear-like parts all over the signature. She also said I'm in quite a distress, which was also true... :?

30% of people have tinnitus, let alone something else. It's not that surprising.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2013-11-02, 15:04

I know they sort of look different, it's because I was increasing my speed while starting a new line.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-11-02, 15:57

:roll:
Last edited by md0 on 2016-04-29, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-11-02, 17:19

Me, writing in Russian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWNIomoTi9o

meidei, that can be used as a cypher or secret code :yep:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-11-02, 19:07

30% of people have tinnitus, let alone something else. It's not that surprising.
And it varies from debilitating to rather mild. Shit, even I have it - in the form of a very slight ringing in my left ear that's only audible in a completely quiet room. This is how cold reading and fortune telling works.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-11-02, 19:41

meidei wrote::roll:

You're ready to become a doctor.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-11-07, 22:12

Ivan: It looks nice, I adore the way that q looks.

meidei: For the first 5 minutes I couldn't tell in which language have you written those.
I couldn't even tell if it's the Greek or Latin or Cyrillic alphabet.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-11-07, 23:00

It's a miracle I was able to graduate from high-school.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2013-11-08, 1:09

You can’t deny it has a personality of its own, though. :) I wonder what real Chinese cursive could be like in your hands. :D Or what about Perso-Arabic?
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-08, 14:08

Lada, you have lovely hand-writing! You make Cyrillic look less harsh and instead, very elegant ;) Cannot understand a word of it, although I did recognise this word: как !! haha...

Meidei, I think that is the messiest hand-writing I have ever seen. You should feel proud ;)
.............Fluent in: Australian English (en-au)
.............Learning: Turkish (tr)
.......Knowledge of: German (de), Uzbek (uz), Hindi (hi)
.......Fascinated by: Arabic (ar), Persian (fa), Russian (ru), Spanish (es), Turkic languages (Uyghur (ug),Kyrgyz (ky) etc)

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2013-11-08, 19:22

@Lada: nice! I was even able to understand the first couple of phrases :) Is the additional curl in your б a common thing, btw?

@meidei: wow, your Greek handwriting may even win over my fastest English writing...
IMG_0286_resized.jpg

I think it might even be legible :blush:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-11-08, 19:43

Babelfish wrote:I think it might even be legible :blush:

It is somewhat legible actually. :P I'm not sure what the word before "careless" is though. Meidei is... playing in a league of his own...
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-11-08, 19:47

That honestly makes me sad :(

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-11-08, 19:48

I'm sorry. :para:

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-11-08, 19:58

Not what you are saying guys. I can see it myself.
I am sad that I could never improve my natural handwriting (if I write slowly of course it's better, but you rarely have the time to write lengthy texts slowly).

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2013-11-09, 0:06

meidei wrote:I am sad that I could never improve my natural handwriting (if I write slowly of course it's better, but you rarely have the time to write lengthy texts slowly).

Do school children over there use cursive/handwriting copybooks? (Not really sure that’s what they’re called in English.) When I was a child myself, they were basically compulsory, but nowadays they’re rarely (if ever) used. Some teachers claim they could perform wonders to a child’s handwriting.

But then again, I had this friend whose mother was a teacher herself, and he had one of the worst handwritings ever! She’d always tell people how copybooks didn’t work for him at all, no matter how hard she tried.

Return to “General Language Forum”