Wanderlust support group 4

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-10, 7:22

Learn Russian, the global lingua fr...uh-oh!

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2017-01-10, 9:44

Fuck Russia! Give us 海参崴 (Vladivostok) back!  (zh) (zh) (zh) (zh) (zh)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-10, 11:46

Thanks to this, I'm now wanderlusting for Nahuatl and Mayan (or Yokotan). At least to learn some basics. :D
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-01-10, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
TAC 2017:  (fr)  (pt-BR)  (sv)  (ta-LK)

Mes langues: (N)  (en-CA) | (B2/B1)  (fr) | (B1/A2)  (pt-BR)  (es-CO) | (A1)  (ta-LK)  (ja)  (ko)  (sv)  (fy)  (it)  (ro)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-01-10, 14:28

As far as I know, Nahuatl was the language of the Aztecs.

Yokotan?
(I can't watch the video ATM. :P )

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-10, 17:59

księżycowy wrote:As far as I know, Nahuatl was the language of the Aztecs.

Yokotan?
(I can't watch the video ATM. :P )

I corrected it; you're right Nahuatl was the Aztec language. Yokotan is one name for the Mayan language. (Or maybe I should say instead Yokotan was one of the Mayan languages?)

Mes langues: (N)  (en-CA) | (B2/B1)  (fr) | (B1/A2)  (pt-BR)  (es-CO) | (A1)  (ta-LK)  (ja)  (ko)  (sv)  (fy)  (it)  (ro)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-01-10, 18:59

I think you mean "Yucatan".

And yes, I would say "Mayan languages." There are a few.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-01-10, 21:14

OldBoring wrote:Fuck Russia! Give us 海参崴 (Vladivostok) back!

I once did some work on a cyberpunk setting where that happened. (Well, basically the Maritime Territory declared itself autonomous and starting using the name again in attempt to attract Chinese investment.)

I also had a setting where it never existed because the Manchus were bottled up in the Northeast and made that the core of a multiethnic state while the Uyghurs conquered China in their stead. Good times.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-01-10, 22:49

O HAI LATVAIN
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-11, 1:14

księżycowy wrote:I think you mean "Yucatan".

And Yucatan is the name of the peninsula where it's spoken; the language itself is called Yucatec Maya.

And yes, the Mayan languages are a family of languages, not one language.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-01-11, 1:23

The massive snowfall that got dumped on us today made me wanderlusting after Siberia and Russia in general. But every time I think of going back to Russian I remember that it's the country of мафия гомофобия коррупция алкоголизм and I back off again.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-11, 1:38

Well, Hindi is also spoken in the country with casteism, homophobia, corruption, suicide, alcoholism, sexual assault, religious violence...:P

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-01-11, 1:40

vijayjohn wrote:Well, Hindi is also spoken in the country with casteism, homophobia, corruption, suicide, alcoholism, sexual assault, religious violence...:P
But the food is so good!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-11, 1:45

mōdgethanc wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Well, Hindi is also spoken in the country with casteism, homophobia, corruption, suicide, alcoholism, sexual assault, religious violence...:P
But the food is so good!

Well, some Russian food looks good, too! Like shchi and pirogi.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-11, 2:49

vijayjohn wrote:Well, some Russian food looks good, too! Like shchi and pirogi.

And that Russian salad...it looks like it's called "Olivier Salad" in English?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-01-11, 3:07

linguoboy wrote:Wow, that's going back well over a year. I built up my speaking to the point where I could've made chit-chat, but in the end I wasn't called upon to. Anois tá meirg ar mo chuid Gaelainne arís.

I think you could go about reviving your Irish very easily—you're easily a B1, even on your rustiest day. You make me regret ever giving up Irish. You know, perhaps… *stops self from typing any further*

Farsi (Persian) for Beginners: Mastering Conversational Farsi. That was just shy of a year ago.

I recall coming across that title at my library and giving it a cursory scan; by that time I was already past the basics in Persian, so I didn't find it very appealing, but looking on Amazon I can say it's definitely worth its price, if not more.

Having said that, I really hope you consider devoting yourself to active study of Persian. As I'm sure you know, its morphology is ridiculously simple, but its vocabulary will keep you occupied well after having mastered the basics of its grammar. You won't regret it.

Looking back over my Amazon orders, I'm reminded I did have a flicker of interest in Cajun French in the past year as well. I think I even posted about that here.

You only had a flicker of interest for it? I've been under the impression you could speak it about as well as you can Hexagonal French.

O HAI LATVAIN

I noticed you don't have Latvian listed on your profile [anymore?]. I can't remember whether you used to have it listed on your profile as an A1 language or I'm just imagining things, but I think I've seen a few posts of yours written in Latvian. In any case, what is your current level in the language?

I have to say, Lithuanian may be the more conservative of the modern Baltic pair, but Latvian looks way more aesthetic.
N: American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) | B1: Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Italian (it) Greek (el) Persian (fa) | A1: Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Albanian (sq)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-01-11, 17:31

Michael wrote:I think you could go about reviving your Irish very easily—you're easily a B1, even on your rustiest day.

Is rómhór an moladh atánn agat orm! At my rustiest I can barely spit a sentence out.

Michael wrote:I recall coming across that title at my library and giving it a cursory scan; by that time I was already past the basics in Persian, so I didn't find it very appealing, but looking on Amazon I can say it's definitely worth its price, if not more.

I've been stuck at the basics for years. This is something I hope will get me over the hump, particularly when it comes to speaking.

Michael wrote:
Looking back over my Amazon orders, I'm reminded I did have a flicker of interest in Cajun French in the past year as well. I think I even posted about that here.

You only had a flicker of interest for it? I've been under the impression you could speak it about as well as you can Hexagonal French.

I can, but I haven't done much at all to improve it. I really need exposure to more natural spoken Cajun French to get comfortable fashioning my own sentences.

Michael wrote:I noticed you don't have Latvian listed on your profile [anymore?].

I may have purged it a year or so ago when I tried to rationalise my proficiencies. It's tough; there are so many languages I achieved a modest level in for such a brief time. For instance, I worked my way through Teach Yourself Punjabi twice and though I never got the hang of deciphering song lyrics, I could craft simple sentences without too much trouble. No way I could do that now. So what rating do I give it?

Michael wrote:I can't remember whether you used to have it listed on your profile as an A1 language or I'm just imagining things, but I think I've seen a few posts of yours written in Latvian. In any case, what is your current level in the language?

Eh, I remember a few words. I got frustrated with it because the syntax just wasn't falling into place for me. I would produce sentences that seemed fine but turned out to be completely unidiomatic-sounding.

Michael wrote:I have to say, Lithuanian may be the more conservative of the modern Baltic pair, but Latvian looks way more aesthetic.

Latvian is so cute. It has the most appealing orthography of any of Baltic or Slavic languages and I love the sound of its words. Today I was looking at a tired old pile of snow and the word "sniegs" popped into my head and it just gave me shivers of delight. "Sniegs"! How can you not smile when saying that?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-13, 4:07

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Well, some Russian food looks good, too! Like shchi and pirogi.

And that Russian salad...it looks like it's called "Olivier Salad" in English?

Or maybe just "Russian salad."
linguoboy wrote:Latvian is so cute. It has the most appealing orthography of any of Baltic or Slavic languages and I love the sound of its words. Today I was looking at a tired old pile of snow and the word "sniegs" popped into my head and it just gave me shivers of delight. "Sniegs"! How can you not smile when saying that?

By noticing that that's basically just the Russian word for 'snow' with an s added to the end? :P

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-01-13, 20:25

Don't be silly. Russian has over 1000 words for snow.
vijayjohn wrote:Well, some Russian food looks good, too! Like shchi and pirogi pirozhkí.
Shchi is pretty good. I used to get it from this Russian deli on Steeles.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-13, 20:44

mōdgethanc wrote:Don't be silly. Russian has over 1000 words for snow.

:lol: There was once a comic posted on the Language Log where two Inuit are walking through the snow and one says to the other something like "did you know English has over 1,000 words for 'lawn'?"
vijayjohn wrote:Well, some Russian food looks good, too! Like shchi and pirogi pirozhkí.
Shchi is pretty good. I used to get it from this Russian deli on Steeles.

What's wrong with pirogi? :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-13, 20:49

mōdgethanc wrote:Shchi is pretty good. I used to get it from this Russian deli on Steeles.

Where on Steeles? What's the name of deli? I've never tried shchi but if this place isn't far from me, maybe I can check it out. :D

Return to “General Language Forum”